June 5, 2020 – Update from Katrina Taylor, DO, Chief Medical Officer, Springfield Medical Care Systems
At Springfield Medical Care Systems we want to ensure that all our patients are getting the care they need even in these trying times. Although some of care may be in a different format and some screening exams may be delayed, it is important that your health concerns are being addressed, you are evaluated for new health problems that arise and you continue to manage your chronic health issues with our support.
As we begin to see more patients in person in our Springfield Medical Care Systems outpatient offices we are doing a number of things to maintain a safe environment.
- All patients are screened at the door for COVID-19 symptoms and their temperature is checked before entering the building. Everyone entering the building is asked to wear a mask. If you do not have one you will be provided with one.
- All staff members are screened for symptoms and fever when they arrive and leave their workplace. Staff members who are sent home or call in sick or have a sick family member at home are tested for COVID-19.
- We are also screening a portion of our staff with COVID-19 testing on a regular basis. To date no staff members have tested positive.
- We continue to use telemedicine appointments when appropriate and for patient preference to continue to support patients in their homes and to limit the number of people in our waiting rooms.
- We are scheduling in person appointments so that patients can get into an exam room as quickly as possible.
- Patients should come into the clinic alone except in the case when a caretaker is required (children and those who have a need for physical, emotional, cognitive assistance etc.). At most one caretaker may accompany a patient. They will also be screened and be required to wear a mask to enter the clinic.
- Rooms are cleaned after each visit and common areas are cleaned three times per day.
- Where possible, chairs have been spaced 6 feet apart in waiting rooms. You may be directed to sit in a particular place in the waiting room so that social distancing can be maintained.
- Staff will be masked when they are with-in 6 feet of another person.
- On the week days we are continuing to triage patients with respiratory complaints and fevers who need an in-person exam but are not sick enough to need the ED to our Respiratory Clinic on level 1 at Springfield Health Center. Please call your PCP office first to discuss your needs.
We are testing any symptomatic patient for COVID-19 at Springfield Health Center. Please call your Primary Care Provider if you feel you need testing as you need an order.
Asymptomatic patients desiring testing are referred to the Department of Health Pop-up testing tents in VT and the National Guard testing sites in NH.